This brightly coloured salad is very refreshing on a hot day. It’s easy to make, and packed full of flavour and fibre. Eat it as a main or serve alongside other foods. The antioxidant content of black beans (also known as turtle beans) and other dark-coloured legumes, per serve, exceeds many fruits and vegetables!
Love this recipe? Take a look at more recipes from our Food as Medicine collection
- 2 x 440 g (16 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large red capsicum (bell pepper), finely diced
- 2 large oranges, peeled, segmented and diced
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 juiced lemon)
- 1 small hot chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Place beans, onion, capsicum, oranges and herbs in a large salad bowl.
- Add dressing ingredients to a glass jar and shake vigorously to emulsify. Pour over the salad ingredients and toss gently until well combined.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for 1-2 days. Recipe is unsuitable for freezing.
- This salad looks great served on a bed of rocket or baby lettuce.
- Be careful not to touch your eyes for several hours after chopping chilli!
- Swap canned beans with 3 cups of cooked beans.