Sweet potato and pearl barley risotto
Pearl barley is a nutrient rich grain. The nutty texture of the cooked pearl barley marries well with the creamy consistency of a risotto. Try it out you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is.
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 1 tbsp oil, extra
- 1 leek, sliced
- few sprigs thyme, removed from stem
- 1 litre reduced salt vegetable stock
- 2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup reduced salt vegetable stock, extra
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon pepita seeds
- Toss cubed sweet potato with oil and place on a baking tray. Bake in a hot oven, 200°C, for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Heat extra oil in a cast iron pot and saute leek and thyme until leek is tender.
- Add stock and bring mixture to the boil.
- Stir through pearl barley and bring mixture back to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer with lid on for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and add extra hot stock and simmer for remaining 10 minutes with lid off.
- When pearl barley is cooked, fold through roasted sweet potato, parmesan and baby spinach leaves. Sprinkle with pepitas.
- To make this recipe vegan replace parmesan with 1 tbsp savoury yeast flakes.